Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Spanish School

Intense!

I think that is the best word to describe this whole process.  I woke up at 6am to get ready, ate pancakes for the third time --Guatemalan delicacy I think -- and was on my way to school by 7:30am. 

The really exciting part was that I was brought to my host family's sister and left there with another student, Robin, who has been here for two days and was my only direction for getting to the school.  Luckily, she and I get along quite well.  We even made it there in one piece... short of almost getting hit by a bus.  Minor details.

My instructor for Spanish classes is named Claudia Pastor.  She is very kind and loves to laugh at my many mistakes.  And trust me, there are many of them.  After about the first three hours of sitting in the classroom speaking only Spanish, she told me it was time for a break.  It's probably a good thing or I think my head would have exploded.  It is hard work just trying to understand everything nevertheless think of words to respond with.  So I had some tea and conversed with some of the other students. 

Class ended at 1pm.  I think that after 15 days of this, I will be much better off.  It is nice to be the only person with the instructor so she can focus on what I need and move quickly over what I do not.  


After eating some lunch, Robin and I along with a few others went to a chocolate making class.  Josephina is a host mother and she is the one who taught the class.  Basically we pounded some warm chocolate into a small mold, cut lines for squares and imprinted it with Josephina's flower seal.  It was a fun experience and was some very delicious chocolate.  :)

I finished out my day by walking with some people to Central Park to change some bills into Quetzales, the Guatemalan currency.  It was a good walk, but I was ready to get home by the time we finished there.

I have to do some homework, which consists of writing 10 sentences and my opinion of the chocolate class.  I hope it doesn't take too long because my brain and body are tired.  I know this is a long post, but my first day was so exciting I didn't want any of you to miss it!  So enjoy!

Adios,

Kyle

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate making class!! Where do I sign up?
    Sounds like your first week is starting off well.

    It all sounds exciting.
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is! It was a ton of fun and I have met several students. There are three who live next door to me and one with my host family's sister who is on my way to school! :)

    ReplyDelete